Hyundai Workers Shut Down Factories In Full-Day Strike
Happy Friday! It's August 21, 2026, and this is The Morning Shift — your daily roundup of the top automotive headlines from around the world, in one place. This is where you'll find the most important stories that are shaping the way Americans drive and get around.
In this morning's edition, we're looking at Hyundai workers striking over retirement and pay, as well as Ford's new collaboration with Geely. We'll also look at China's big door latch recall, and the Netherlands' big Uber fine.
If you'd like a recap of the latest auto news sent to your inbox each weekday, you can sign up for Jalopnik's free Morning Shift newsletter here.
1st Gear: Hyundai workers strike over wage negotiations and retirement planning
Hyundai and Kia workers in South Korea are striking, and they're looking for something Americans might not expect: An increase in retirement age, from the current 60 up to 65 or higher. Smaller strikes have been ongoing for some time, but this is the first daylong strike Hyundai has seen in a decade. From the Wall Street Journal:
Hyundai Motor's unionized workers staged a full-day strike for the first time in a decade, bringing production to a complete halt as they pressed demands for better wages and job protections.
The daylong strike at the South Korean automaker, the first since 2016, followed months of failed wage negotiations and a series of partial walkouts, adding to the challenges facing the company as it grapples with sluggish global vehicle sales.
All Hyundai Motor and sibling Kia factories in South Korea went quiet from Friday morning, as tens of thousands of workers downed their tools after the union ratcheted up the walkout to eight hours per shift—there are two eight-hour shifts each weekday—from the previously planned four hours, according to the company and union leaders.
...
Hyundai's union wants to raise the retirement age to 65 or older from the current 60, which would require revisions to the country's laws. The union is also wants to increase bonuses by 50%, the reports said.
In South Korea, the retirement age is set at 60 but retirement benefits don't kick in until age 63 — leaving retirees in unpaid limbo for years. If Hyundai workers could work until 65, they could actually retire with the benefits they're set to receive.
2nd Gear: Ford's next European crossover will run on a Geely platform
Yesterday we talked about Geely offering its engineering to other companies, letting them staff up with expert Chinese engineers to build better cars faster. It seems Ford has taken the company up on that offer, because the Blue Oval's next European-built crossover will ride on a Geely platform. From Automotive News:
Ford will build a new SUV using Geely Auto Group's electrified GEA platform in Valencia, Spain, as part of a joint venture proposed by the two companies, Geely said.
GEA, which stands for Global Intelligent Electric Architecture, incorporates electric and plug-in hybrid drivetrains and underpins new volume "new energy" models from Geely's namesake brand, including the EX5 full-electric SUV and Starray plug-in hybrid SUVs currently on sale in Europe.
It also underpins two future Renault models that will be built in Brazil as part of a cooperation between Renault Group and Geely Auto.
Ford said in July that it would collaborate with Geely on a compact crossover offering "multi-energy" drivetrains with a target launch date of 2029. The company said it would be differentiated from Geely models by "rally-bred" styling and driving dynamics that evoke Ford's racing heritage with models such as the Escort, RS200 and Sierra Cosworth.
A little rally crossover in the vein of the Kona N could be very fun from Ford, especially as a hybrid. Unfortunately I'm willing to bet we'll get something that looks more fun than it drives.
3rd Gear: China recalls cars from 11 automakers over emergency door latches
People keep getting trapped in cars with electronic latches, not due to the cars lacking a mechanical release but due to the cars not telling their drivers where those releases are. China is forcing a recall on the latter front, making automakers label emergency releases better. From Reuters:
BEIJING, Aug 21 (Reuters) – Eleven carmakers, including Tesla and Xiaomi, launched software updates and vehicle recalls on Friday, the companies said, in China's largest-ever automotive recall campaign, as regulators tighten scrutiny of emergency door-release systems in EVs.
Most of the actions, classified as product recalls under Chinese regulations, address concerns that emergency mechanical door release handles may be difficult to locate or operate during emergencies.
Nine of the 11 automakers, including Tesla and Xiaomi, will install warning labels free of charge to identify the handles, while most will also deploy over-the-air (OTA) software updates.
The sweeping campaign comes as Beijing steps up oversight of the EV industry and introduces tougher safety requirements, as automakers roll out new technologies amid a fierce price war in the world's largest auto market.
Tesla would recall 2.98 million imported and China-made Model 3, Model Y, Model S and Model X vehicles from September 25, it told the State Administration for Market Regulation, according to the regulator's statement.
The U.S. automaker said mechanical emergency door-release handles may be difficult to identify following a severe collision and electrical system failure, potentially hindering occupants' escape or rescuers' access, the statement said.
For once, a Tesla recall that isn't entirely a software issue. It's been a minute since the company has had one of those.
4th Gear: Netherlands fines Uber nearly $1 billion for automated driver penalties
It's always fun to see U.S. startups head overseas, where they suddenly find themselves faced with a regulatory environment that doesn't bend over backwards for them. Take the Netherlands, where regulators have ruled that Uber ran afoul of laws that mandate human participation in disciplinary action. Now the company faces almost a billion dollars in fines. From Reuters:
AMSTERDAM, Aug 21 (Reuters) – The Dutch Data Protection Authority (AP) has decided to fine Uber €825 million ($966 million) under European data protection rules for deactivating driver accounts through automated systems without adequately informing them, according to an August 17 decision reviewed by Reuters.
The penalty would be the second-largest ever issued under Europe's General Data Protection Regulation, behind a €1.2 billion fine imposed on Meta by Ireland in 2023 for unlawfully transferring European Facebook users' data to the United States, which Meta is appealing.
...
"The AP has determined that Uber violated drivers' rights, specifically the right not to be subject to automated decision-making that has...significant consequences," the decision said.
"Uber has also violated the right to be informed," the decision said, saying the agency considered it a serious matter worthy of the large fine.
I, for one, think humans should be involved here, and workers should be notified. I'm team Netherlands on this one.
Reverse: Hawai'ians were not consulted
There were already people there!
The Fuel Up
We'll see what the next salvo in the Weekend War brings after markets close tonight.
On The Radio: Run The Jewels - 'Out of Sight'
I keep thinking my roommate's cat is meowing through this track